Monday, July 11, 2011

Book Review: HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE by JK Rowling

     I know it’s been years since the book has been published. So what? I read it for the 9th time and suddenly felt the urge to write about this one. I feel the need to contribute my two-bit to this much talked-about book that has a cult following. 
     I fell in love with Harry Potter the first time I read this book – some time in 1999, I think. And all that magic surrounding him – I just lapped it all up. The characters that pop out of the book and dance in front of one’s eyes as you read the words is nothing short of amazing – I got transported into a different realm. Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Neville, Dumbledore, Malfoy, Snape and most important of all – you-know-who – what kind of research and imagination must have come together to create these!
     I hated the Dursleys more than Harry did – Vernon, Petunia and Dudley. I loved talking to the snake through Harry and felt thrilled when it got its freedom. I got quite excited when Harry found out that he was a wizard and got a chance to go to Hogwarts. I was thrilled with every single adventure that Harry underwent at the tender age of eleven – feeling sad for his losses and mistreatment while feeling envious about the magic he was connected to. I hated Snape and Malfoy and wanted to hit out at them on Harry’s behalf.
     Every time Harry lifted his wand to perform a spell, I could feel my right hand twitching. I have lived and breathed Harry Potter and can’t have enough of him. 
     The magic spells, Hogwarts' Express, 9 3/4 Platform, the invisibility cloak, the Mirror of Erised, the moving photographs, the magical staircases and corridors, the paintings, the ghosts, parsel-tongue, muggles – give me more, please!
     How can I forget Quiddich? Such a complicated game and described so clearly and precisely. It was such a thrill when Harry becomes the youngest seeker. I soared on the broom every time Harry took off in it. 
     I just loved every aspect of the book and each time I read it – it takes me a couple of weeks to recover from the fantasy world and get back to normal. 
     Ms. JK Rowling – thank you for weaving magic!  

No comments:

Post a Comment